The Advent of Social Film: The Inside Experience with Jamie Robinson
Session Hashtag: #socialfilm
Social films are a recent phenomenon and there are few precedents for their format. In this session learn about “The Inside Experience,” a social film project presented by Intel + Toshiba. Jaime Robinson, the creative lead on the project, worked alongside Director DJ Caruso and actress Emmy Rossum to assemble clues and drive successful audience participation in this unique Hollywood thriller. Learn about the opportunities for engagement, effective media placements and how far viewers will go to be a part of the big picture.
Client Story: Intel and Toshiba: www.theinsideexperience.com
It was the best of briefs…
How do you mix a Hollywood movie with Facebook? That is the question! An immersive storytelling experience…the advent of social film. The client was focused on getting super creativity to WOW 20-year-olds. Concept of a “First Look” trailer. It was to be “an addictive experience.”
Film = Author-owned
Social Media = People-owned
“Social Film = An immersive plot-driven filmic collaboration between film-maker & audience.”
Things that were important in the campaign:
- Have a well versed Hollywood director and talent that knew the 20 something crowd.
- A wide variety of touchpoints for major league crossover. (24 hour screenwriter responding as the character online)
- 8 film episodes
- Facebook character pages
- Live interactions
- Clues and cyphers (to find out where she was)
- Support videos
- Socially-based challenges (characters making videos)
- Fans crossing over into episodes
- Twitter action
- Real world participation
- Final film…all 8 episodes with the highlights from social media stitched together. WOW
Tier 2: Sit back and enjoy.
The client didn’t want to shove their product down their viewers throat, they wanted them to feel like they were part of an experience not viewing an ad. – Jamie Robinson